Lisa Shearin, National Bestselling Author

Cover for Wild Card — Raine & Tam novella

Uncategorized Add comments

I’m taking a break from the final edits of Wild Card (due EOD tomorrow for final proofing & formatting) to show you the cover.

I hired Aleta Rafton, the cover artist for the Raine Benares series. Our timeframe was tight (Wild Card comes out three weeks from today), we had to put a cover together quickly. All that being said, the Raine on this cover doesn’t look like the Raine on my series covers, because it’s not the same model, and I don’t own the rights to those covers. On the subsequent Raine books/novellas/short stories, we’ll try to establish some consistency.

Here it is. What do you think? (Click for a larger version.)
wild card_8

17 Responses to “Cover for Wild Card — Raine & Tam novella”

1. Helenmary Cody says:

I want the jacket! This Raine is a bit more exotic than how I picture her, but it won’t keep me from buying and inhaling the novella ūüėČ

Question, do people actually have careers as book cover models? I saw a comment on Ilona Andrews site recently about losing another model and was wondering about this. I had always just assumed that the cover artists came up with a drawing out of their head, but it sounds like that is not the case. How does the process work?

2. Doug Orr says:

Awesome cover! But I do have a question though. What is hanging around Raine’s neck? I can’t make it out. Is it just a piece of jewelry or does it have some significance?

3. This Raine is very different, but I think still workable, especially with a time crunch. My suggestion would to have your name BIGGER ;)- Part of my thinking is it will be totally lost in an Amazon thumbnail ;). All I’d see would be “Wild Card” and if I was drifting around, I might miss both Raine’s name and yours unless I knew what I was looking for ;).

4. Candace Bliss says:

She definitely looks different but I like her! Good picture!

5. Scott Balliet says:

Very COOL!! So excited for the novella and anything else you release!

6. Nicole says:

So, this is being released separately from your publisher? Is that the cover issue? And I do like the cover and ADORE the series! ūüôā

7. Chicory says:

Awesome. I love the cover. Yes, Raine is different, but there was a switch in models between book two and three, too. It didn’t seem to bother anyone. (If anything it showed that the series was becoming more serious.)

8. Maia says:

To be honest I liked the previous Raine model much better. This one is too tame and looks like someone who has no idea what to do with the knives.

However, my #1 choice as a cover artist for your books would still be Chris McGrath, with those two simply perfect models for Tam and Mychael. I’m sure he’d come up with a perfect Raine as well.

9. LynneW says:

The cover art is very eyecatching, but you really need your name and the series to stand out more. Pink against purple gets lost; I’d suggest enlarging the font on your name to make it equal in size to the title, and making all the text white against the purple background.

10. That does look good. {SMILE} However, I agree that the non-title words would be easier to read with more contrast. {Smile}

Anne Elizabeth Baldwin

11. Nick Anderson says:

When will the wild card be available to order on Amazon

12. […] — Local author release day for¬†Wild Card: A Raine Benares Novella¬†by Lisa Shearin. (Simultaneously, her novella “Lucky Charms” appears in the […]